Wednesday, December 14, 2011

BAA (Book Addicts Anonymous)

Hi, my name is Megan and I'm a book addict. I've been addicted since I started reading at age 3, and I haven't been clean since.

In the 3rd grade I won an award for reading 102 books. This sounds simple right? A third grader could read a picture book no problem. No, no, no, you misunderstand. All qualifying books had to be chapter books. Think Magic Tree House and Goosebumps, but still, for an 8 year old 102 chapter books is a little heavy. I wasn't PUSHED to achieve this goal, I did it at my own pace. We were informed at the beginning of the year that we would log our reading time/books and at the end of the year we'd have a celebration for reading. I was one of few who got a TROPHY for reading over a certain number of books. I have no idea what has happened to that god awful ugly trophy, but it still means something to me.

By 4th grade I was reading at a high school level. My elementary school had an awesome reading program that focused on comprehension. Each book was assigned a level, after reading the book you'd go to the library and take a quiz, if you passed the quiz you got a certain number of points (higher points for higher level books). Points accumulated granted prizes at the end of the year. I was in the top points earning groups and got to have lunch with the principal, at McDonalds. SCORE!

I've been eating up books my entire life. You wouldn't guess by the amount of books I actually own, but that's due to borrowing books from friends, the library, and buying (then selling) books on Amazon, and most recently my Kindle. Oh, my Kindle. If ever a girl could love a piece of technology, my Kindle is it. No more waiting anxiously for books to arrive in the mail after ordering, now they magically appear at my fingertips. Yay for instant gratification! Thank you 21st century!

In light of my book problem, I plan to suggest a book each week. The book may or may not reflect my preference for the paranormal, but it's a book I've read and loved, and I think you should read. If you've read the book let me know what you thought of it, and if you haven't I suggest you read it and get back to me. I'll post my first book tomorrow.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment