Thursday, December 15, 2011

BAA Book Share - The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver

Ms. Kingsolver's Website

Amazon

B&N

This book was an unexpectedly pleasant find for me. I was supposed to read a classic book for a high school English class and I had no idea where to start. My teacher gave me a list and I randomly picked this book.

The story is about Taylor Greer, who is a small town girl looking for some more. She doesn't know exactly what she's looking for, but she hopes that she'll know when she finds it. After graduating high school she decides to set out on an adventure to find whatever it is she's looking for. A suitcase, determination, and her old VW Bug are all she brings with her as Taylor hits the road.

When Taylor reaches Tucson, AZ she gets a feeling that this is where she needs to stop. It's only been days since she left home and already she has acquired a baby. After being left on her front seat at a gas station she realizes she is all this child has now, and she makes the best of it. She finds a place to live and starts making friends in this big new city, in her strange new life.

The Bean Trees is a heart warming (and sometimes heart wrenching) story, about a young girl embracing the issues in her life and using the lessons she learns to become an adult.

This is one of the many books I've read that doesn't fit into my usual collection of paranormal-esque books, but it's fantastic. If you haven't read, I suggest you do. If you have read it, please let me know what you thought of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment